I am so excited to share this cocktail for a variety of reasons! First, I went to a couple of distilleries when living in Vancouver for a couple of months and met some lovely people distilling their hearts out to make quality booze. One of which was Liberty Distillery located on Granville Island. They were gracious to let me hang out for a while and watch their passion.
Today, I am using their Liberty Distillery Railspur White Whiskey in this beautiful and tasty cocktail. For starters this drink has an egg white which can be intimidating but I realized that if you follow a couple of easy steps your drink will look like it came from a fancy cocktail bar. I really surprised myself the first couple of times that I made drinks with egg whites and how easy it actually was to execute. The basil syrup and the lemon ginger soda syrup make this cocktail taste fresh and earthy. The Dambuie gives a spicy flavor and the whisky balances the drink. This is a perfect date night or special occasion drink. It has a couple of extra steps than my typical cocktails like the egg white and the basil syrup but it is so worth the flavor and fanciness. Try this fabulous Whiskey Basil Shake!
- 1.5 ounces of Railspur White Whiskey
- ½ ounce of Drambuie
- ½ ounce of basil syrup
- ½ ounce of lemon ginger soda
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup of ice
Garnish: Fresh basil leaves
- In a cocktail shaker combine whiskey, Drambuie, basil syrup, lemon ginger soda syrup and egg white
- Shake until foamy then add ice and shake until chilled
- Strain mixture into serving glass
- Garnish with basil leaves and bitters
*Recipe: Basil Syrup
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ cup of packed basil
- In a sauce pan combine sugar, water and basil.
- Let it boil for until sugar dissolves
- Strain mixture and let it cool