Aperol Spritz is becoming the most popular summer drink, but did you know that this trendy Italian drink has been around for over 100 years? The Italians are the creators of ‘aperitivo,’ the pre-meal drink that is made to ignite one’s appetite. One such drink is Aperol Spritz.
Although the classical drink is made out of only three ingredients – Aperol, Prosecco, and club soda (plus a garnish), there have been many variations to the drink.
How to make an Aperol Spritz
In the years where making a cocktail has become very serious and complicated, Aperol Spritz is defying the culture with its unseriousness. The recipe is quite simple to remember, an easy 3-2-1, where the numbers represent the potions of each ingredient. Three parts of Prosecco, two parts Aperol, and one part soda.
- Put ice in the glass. It is recommended to put bigger ice cubes that will melt slowly and to drink your spritz from a wine glass because that way, you will be able to experience the aroma as you sip.
- Add a twist of citrus in your drink. Although many like to put an orange in their Aperol Spritz, you can add any citrus fruit you want, like lemon or lime.
- Add Aperol to your cocktail shaker. It is essential to combine your ingredients well, so having a shaker is a crucial thing if you want to make the perfect Aperol Spritz. If you do not already have it, find a good cocktail shaker that will make your preparation much easier.
- Add Prosecco to the shaker. For better taste, always opt for Prosecco that is f high quality.
- Add the club soda, but make sure that it is as carbonated as possible because it can lose its carbonation in the pouring process.
- Pour your drink over the ice.
Variations of Aperol Spritz
Because it is such a popular drink, there are many different variations to the drink, but here we will mention only a few of the best.
- Aperol Negroni is made out of Aperol, sweet vermouth, gin, and citrus garnish
- Aperol Spritz Martini is made out of Aperol, Vodka, and Prosecco
- The Aperol Betty is a true summer mix. Made out of Aperol, orange and grapefruit juice, and Prosecco.
If you are not a fan of making your own drinks, here are the best places in the world where you can drink this summer delight.
Gran Caffè Diemme — Padua, Italy
Where better to drink Aperol Spritz than in the place where it all began. Although there are many amazing bars in Padua where you can enjoy your drink, we recommend Gran Caffé Diemme, because of its beautiful and modern interior and fantastic taste of the classic drink.
Dante — New York City
This Italian restaurant and bar was opened in 1915, but it is still very busy. It played host to many Italian immigrants during its history, but also many famous artists like Patty Smith and Earnest Hemingway. The bar has an entire menu for Italian drinks, just like many delicious kinds of pasta that are perfect for dinner. Enjoy your Aperol Spritz in a good company, and with a great meal in this charming New York restaurant.
Caffe Fernet — Singapore
Although the café is named after another Italian drink, their Aperol Spritz is also amazing. You can also choose from a menu filled with Italian-inspired food which will accompany your drink perfectly.
You can visit the café at the happy hour to get the drinks and the food at a good discount.
Pink Bar at Stamba Hotel — Tbilisi, Georgia
Georgia is a very trendy place to visit this year, and Stamba Hotel should be on everyone’s bucket list. The place where the hotel is located used to be Georgia’s most important printing house, so you can expect to find details like atriums and courtyards in it.
Apart from its gorgeous interior, they also have a long menu of drinks that you can try, featuring their wonderful Aperol Spritz.
Leo’s Oyster Bar — San Francisco
With its instragrammable interior and tasty drinks, it is a perfect refuge for San Francisco’s famously hectic summers. Enjoy your cold drinks in this beautifully designed bar, Fashioned after the great cocktail and oyster bars of the golden era.
Giulietta — Toronto
Trying Aperol Spritz in Italy may be your dream. Still, Toronto has the largest Italian population outside of Italy, so you can expect to find great Italian drinks and food here. In Giulietta, you will find the expertly-made Aperol Spritz that will spark a bit of summer even in the winter.