This cocktail was originally designed as a variation on the delicious Trinidad Sour but as we made our way through the evening we found ourselves moving further and further away from the original recipe while chasing something unique that we aren’t even sure what we ended up with; the primary principals remain true however. With a balanced sour cocktail I follow a simple rule incorporating sweet, sour and bitter components then I look for something bold to really give it a kick and in this cocktail you can see we have all of those things and have thrown an egg white in there to bring everything together.
The emulsification of these different flavor profiles coming together in unison is something really special especially when you can take the strong characteristics of Amaro di ANGOSTURA® and mold them into a delicious concoction with complimenting flavors like pineapple and lemon juice. Then just for kicks and to give this cocktail an extra boozy kick the blended scotch really rounds everything out and works as a kind of glue.
- 1 ounce blended scotch
- 1 ounce Amaro di ANGOSTURA®
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice
- Shake hard for 1+ minute to emulsify and chill ingredients
- Strain out ice and shake again for 1+ minute to aerate and further combine ingredients
- Double strain into a coupe glass
- Garnish with a lemon wheel