Rye has got to be one of the best spirits to enjoy during winter; of course, spirits in general are great at warning the soul, but rye just has that additional heat that really hits the spot. I absolutely love making sours and was torn between a number of flavors that would work well with the citrus and floral notes in Redemption Rye’s pioneering spirit.
I eventually decided on a simple, but delicious mandarin syrup that would bring out the best in the spirit as well as work perfectly to balance the tart lemon juice. I think it may have also been the fact that I’m really just missing the warm weather, and the freshness of the mandarin, mixed with the light minty notes in the Redemption Rye really remind me of summer flavors that can work all year round.
- 2 ounces Redemption Rye Whiskey
- ¾ ounce lemon juice
- ¾ ounce mandarin simple syrup (Monin)
- 1 egg white
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice
- Shake hard to chill and combine ingredients
- Strain out ice
- Shake hard again for better consistency
- Fine strain into cocktail glass over fresh ice
- Garnish & Enjoy!