I could not pass up the chance to make a signature Mad Men cocktail for a special occasion. I am a big fan of Mad Men and love how cocktails are incorporated into the show to represent the time period. I love seeing the retro bar war and the bottles of liquor in the Madison Avenue offices. Every business meeting and restaurant outing incorporates some kind of classic cocktail.
I decided to create a version of the whiskey sour. I love whiskey sours but rarely order one when I am out because I always get sidetrack with the craft cocktail menus. I love this drink because it contains bourbon and lemon juice which in my opinion go so well together! I mixed the classic recipe up a bit by using Meyer lemons, a small amount of Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, and cherry bitters. The cherry bitters make this drink! The bitters give drink a bite that really kicks it up a notch. Make this bourbon sour tonight and feel like you are taken back to the Mad Men era. It will be so much more fun than sipping on a bottle of wine!
- 2 ounces of bourbon
- 1 teaspoons of simple syrup
- 1 meyer lemon, juiced
- ½ ounce of Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- 1 cup of ice
- 2 dashes of cherry bitters
Garnish: cherry (I used Italian Amarena Cherry)
- Fill a shaker with 1 cup of ice, bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup, and Luxardo Marashino Liqueur
- Shake mixture until it is mixed and chilled
- Strain mixture into serving glass
- Add dashes of bitters
- Garnish cocktail with cherry