I once travelled Guatemala for the 3 months and during that time gained so much cocktail inspiration from the local markets and culinary flavors. From all the bright colors to the amazing fresh ingredients available in Guatemala there is something for everyone’s cocktail palate; including dried hibiscus flowers, which are fabulous in cocktails.
In this Margarita I used a hibiscus tea called Heart-Tee Hibiscus Tea from the Wild Hibiscus Flower Company based in Australia. This tea is a great base for a Margarita and has 3 hibiscus flowers per tea bag. If you can’t find this hibiscus tea you can make your own hibiscus simple syrup with dried hibiscus flowers that you can purchase at most specialty markets. I love using tea as a base for cocktails because it adds so many flavors with out a lot of effort. It’s time to celebrate with this Margarita!
- 3 ounces of Heart-Tee Hibiscus Tea, cooled
- 1.5 ounces of tequila
- 1 ounce of lime juice
- 1/2 ounce of agave nectar or hibiscus simple syrup
- ½ to 1 cup of ice
- In a shaker add Heart-Tee Hibiscus Tea, tequila, lime juice, agave nectar or hibiscus simple syrup and ice
- Rim serving glass with a sugar/salt mixture
- Shake mixture to chill and combine ingredients
- Pour shaken mixture into serving glass
- Garnish with dried hibiscus flowers